In NearPlace you have the option of adding multiple contacts at once by importing CSV files. In order to import data, you have to go to the Contacts Add-on menu and press the button Import.
You have to activate Contacts Add-on first, if you haven't do that yet.
The next steps to be followed during data import
1. Open template prepared by NearPlace team and copy it (File -> Make a copy...) to your Google Drive to be able to edit it.
You can also create an automatic copy of the document in your account by clicking the Copy template button:
If you want to open a document template in the Google Spreadsheet program, you must first log in to your Google account or create a new one if you do not have one.
If you want to edit a document in a file on disk*, download a copy of the template in .csv format (File -> Download as -> Comma Separated Values .csv).
*UTF-8 encoding issues: Some spreadsheet programs use different character encoding formats. Files must use UTF-8 encoding, this is the default encoding for Google Drive and Excel for Mac OSX, which is why it is our recommended solution. Open Office will allow you to choose formatting when you export the file to .csv. NearPlace is not compatible with .csv files exported from Windows Excel, which do not use UTF-8 encoding.
2. Fill in all the required information about new contact (contact name, phone or email data,) and if you want add optional information.
3. Remember not to change the headings of the sheet (the first row), but only to fill in the information about your contacts in the next lines of the sheet.
4. Save the file in .csv format to your disk.
5. Select the .csv file from disk or use the drag & drop function and press the Import button.
Additional informations about imported file
- if you want to assign contact to one or more place you have to provide Place ID number in the first column of the imported document. To get all of your places ID, you can export list of your places from Places Import subpage.
- contact name and one of the contact information (phone or email) is required
- if you leave contact working hours columns empty - working hours information will not be displayed in locator app.
Data format instructions for your .csv file
If any of the above conditions are not met, the data import of the selected record or the whole file is interrupted and an error message will appear.